You've taken the first step - filling out our information form on the Connect page. Next, we will send you an email matching you with a conversation partner.
Here are a few guidelines to help make your conversation friendly, productive, and enjoyable for both of you:
- Ask questions that you genuinely want to know the answer to.
- Use "I" statements. Own your feelings, and respect theirs.
- Practice patience. Try not to interrupt each other, and make an effort to really listen to what your partner has to say. Respond to what they have said, instead of just waiting for your turn to speak.
- Assume good intentions. Remember that you both signed up to chat with someone with a different perspective. Recognize your common humanity, and ask your partner about the deeper human values that drive their beliefs.
- Don't be afraid of silence. Give yourself time to process what you hear.
And here are some sample questions to get you started!
- Tell me about the place where you grew up.
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What is a place you love? Can you describe it to me in detail?
- How has that place shaped you?
- Tell me about a time that you felt misunderstood.
- What does the phrase "public lands" mean to you?
- Tell me about a time you changed one of your beliefs.
Finally, we'd love for you to answer a few questions together, and send us your responses by sending an email to email@example.com. When you are done, remember to thank each other for taking the time to connect!
- Did today's conversation make you think about anything differently? If so, what?
- Are there any questions you enjoyed asking or answering that weren't included in our sample questions?
- What was one thing you each appreciated about your conversation partner?